JOIN AND SEARCH SWAGBUCKS

HOLIDAY SEASON IS UPON US





Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Here are a couple of ways to dress up your dinner!

We all love are veggies, right? Even our kids eat them without complaints, right? Well, not so much! I remember being a kid and gagging down green beans praying they wouldn't come projecting from my mouth! Gross I know, but that is how I felt about my green veggies as I child! I can honestly say that I did not develop a love for my greens until I was in my thirties....yes, yes, this is sad! So, here are a couple of things I use to encourage my kids to eat them as well.

BROCCOLI
you will need:
fresh broccoli
water
butter
garlic powder and/or fresh garlic
Broccoli is so yummy, but I did not know this until I was pregnant with my 21 mo. old son. I craved broccoli and I have no idea why!?! My kids also now love broccoli, only if it is prepared as follows:
I steam my broccoli with water, buttter, and fresh garlic (can use garlic powder also). Be sure to steam just until the brocolli starts to get soft. If it is steamed too long, all the good nutrients are lost. I also spray butter and sprinkle some garlic powder on top of the broccoli as it steams.

CHICKEN GARLIC SAUCE
you will need:
chicken bouillon cube or stock broth
garlic powder
corn starch
water (for cubes)
Chicken garlic sauce is great on top of chicken and/or your broccoli. I take chicken bouillon cubes and follow the directions on the bottle or you can use stock chicken broth. I prefer low sodium. Make enough for the size of your family and your intended purpose. I then add garlic powder and season to taste while it is at a slow boil - my family is big on garlic so we use a lot. Garlic has a ton of health benefits!!! After I have my desired taste,  I use corn starch to thicken it to make it more like a gravy consistency. I put about a heaping tablespoon of corn starch into a separate cup and add cold water while stiring it. This mixture should be a thinner liquid consistency. Add slowly (you may not use all the corn starch mixture) to your chicken broth with your flame/heat on low and stir, stir, stir. The sauce will start to thicken. BE CAREFULL not to just add all the corn starch, the sauce will slowly thicken with a little bit added! This is so good with chicken!

GRECIAN PEAS
you will need:
peas ~ fresh OR small bag frozen OR 2 cans drained
tomato paste ~ 2 heaping T
4 scallions (green onions) chopped small
2 t for freshly chopped dill
1 heaping T of butter
        OR
2T of olive oil
2C water
salt and pepper

Last but not least for today is Grecian Peas. My husband and I love them and I never ate peas unless they were in a pot pie. I have prepared with canned peas and with fresh frozen peas...my kids did prefer the canned peas. I am going to try this again with fresh peas when my local farmers market opens up!
Start with a large skillet, melt your butter or heat your oil. You will need to dilute your tomato paste with the water and set aside. Add your scallions, cook until soft, but not brown. Next add your peas, dill and your tomato paste dilute. Bring to a rapid boil, stiring occasionally, salt and pepper to taste. Then turn down to a medium/low heat, cover and simmer until the liquid in absorbed. Takes about 30-45 minutes.

TRY THESE OUT SOON AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!

No comments:

Post a Comment